Sunday, January 31, 2010

Who am I ?

We had a cultural diversity training at work on Thursday. I was tired, sleep deprived and had tons on my mind...this was the last thing I wanted to do...sit through three hours of a class ! The person sitting next to me was an Indian...from a different dept...I had seen her before at once a month office meetings but we never talked.
She asked, "what's your name ?"
"Neelam"
"you ARE from India??!!" (a big surprise)
"yea"
"I could never tell !!"
I am not quite sure how I felt...it was one of those moments when I process my thoughts after a half hour of the happening...walking toward the parking lot, I asked Barb, "Could you not tell I am from India when you first met me? that woman couldn't tell I am from India...I always knew she is from India though"...
"Really ?, maybe 'cause of your accent"
"But I have never talked to her before !"
Barb's final reply, "Oh boy !"

I went over to Yael's for dinner that night and I asked the same question from her. Her reply, "Honey...when I first met you, I thought you were an American!". Not that it's a good or a bad thing but I did think over this...when exactly did this happen ! No wonder I don't get those "Are you from India" questions anymore...

What is my identity ? Who am I anymore ? I haven't been home in 2 years and around this time next week I'll be getting ready to hop on the plane. What would it be like to land in Delhi ? Would my people be able to tell that I am from that city ? I mean that is my city...I was born there...grew up there...that city is a part of my identity...its mera Dilli and I will always be a Delhi girl...just makes me a little more nervous than I already am about the trip...

Oh well...atleast I am still "me" and I will always be, what I am up in my head ! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment